



Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club
Saturday 30th September 2023
Jaguar Sports & Social Club, Fenton Rd, Allesley, Coventry CV5 9PS

1.0 Introduction

Peter Purdom welcomed all present to the meeting. He stated that he had been touring with JEC friends in France recently and that reminded him what it is all about, being together sharing experiences. He said that everyone taking part in the meeting has a real responsibility as with approximately 1% of our Membership attending, with 99% not present, we take responsibility for them so it is important to look after their interests and not just the interests of people at the meeting. Peter noted that the meeting was being held at Browns Lane which is a really appropriate place to hold the AGM with all the history at the venue. It was noted that several questions were submitted in advance and there would be an opportunity to share questions later in the meeting.

Peter informed the meeting of the items on the agenda.

1.1 Introduction of Club Officials

Peter introduced the following Club Officials

Mike Horlor	Forums & Model Sections Manager
Mike Young	Finance Director
Ken Jenkins	Technical
Michael Manconi	Director IT & Merchandise, Media Team member
Ian Newman	Regions
Tom Robinson	Technical
Craig Thompson	DVLA Liaison & X351 Model Section
Richard West	Operations Manager & Events Chairman
Wayne Scott	Media Controller
Peter Leake	JLR Liaison (online)

Peter introduced the Club's Vice Presidents: Keith Vincent, Nigel Thorley.

Noted that **Club Employees** attending the meeting included:

James Blackwell	General Manager,
Rhian Parker	Club Manager

Peter welcomed and thanked Regional Ambassadors, Regions' Chairs and other committee members along with everyone present, whatever their capacity in the JEC for all that they do.

1.2 Apologies for Absence:

Apologies for Absence were received from: Peter Clarke, Gordon Wright, Sue Hedley, Sandra & Phillip Webb, John Suttie, Peter Sayles, David Marks, Carol Abbott, Chris Hallworth, Peter Leake, Mike Newman, Ian Cooling, Leigh Woollford.

1.3 Proxies

There were 15 Proxy Votes submitted appointing the Chair as Proxy and one appointing Ken Jenkins.

Peter thanked Peter Freelove for taking the minutes of the meeting and stated that the meeting was being recorded.

2.0 Approval of the minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting held on 23 January 2023

Proposed: Barrie March

Seconded: Geoff Johnston,

Vote

For: All

Against: 0

Abstentions: 0

The Minutes of the 23 January 2023 AGM were approved.

3.0. Adoption of Financial Statements for the year ended 28 February 2022

Mike Young, Finance Director gave a presentation on the accounts. He stated that the annual accounts being presented ended on 28 February 2023.

Mike noted that the results had been exceptional for the previous two years due to the impact of Covid.

The Pre-tax Operating Profit fell from £70,271 to £3,760 in 2022/23

Looking at the main changes impacting the Operating Profit, Mike picked out a few for comment:

Gross Profit year-on-year changes

Income:

Advertising Income	+ £16,929
Membership	- £9,992
Insurance Commission	- £5,662

Expenditure:

Magazine printing & paper + £26,903

Mike gave a brief explanation for the increase in costs. There was a small rise in administration expenses against the previous year. £371,766 compared with £326,582 in 2021/22.

Printing, stationery, post	+ £26,903
Staff salaries	+ £22,117
Consultancy	+ £8,719
Advertising	+ £6,733
Bank, c/card charges	+ £3,306
Technical Services	- £5,250
Travel etc	- £5,653

Printing and Stationery costs increased as Membership Cards started to be issued again; they had not been sent during the pandemic as members of staff were working from home.

Staff salaries increased due to an increase in the number of people employed to provide a better service.

There was a small increase in Consultancy.

Mike stated that Jim Mann had submitted a question which had highlighted to Mike an incorrect amount for consultancy received by Richard West for 2022 in the notes on page 19 of the Financial Statements. Mike thanked Jim for highlighting this error and said that the amount should be £4,220 and that the amount shown of £31,500 was a legacy from previous accounts. The error was limited to the notes and the figures in the accounts were correct.

Mike responded to a question he had received about why bank and credit card charges have increased. Mike advised that, inadvertently, the Club had changed the treatment where card charges had been previously allocated to shows in relation to tickets bought. The transaction charges from the card merchant is the lowest cost we can find.

Travel costs were lower as the Club reduced travel and more meetings were held using Zoom.

It was noted that Establishment Expenses increased slightly from £36,261 in 2021/2022 to £39,641. There was a Power increase and the previous Rate Rebate had not been repeated.

3.1 Questions on the Accounts:

Question from an Oxfordshire Member: There was a question about interest paid on a loan.

Answer from Mike Young: First, there was another part of a question from Jim Mann who had mentioned about an additional £29k to what was in the Accounts. Noted that this was not correct. It means that on page 19, those monies hadn't been paid but those costs had been accrued into the Accounts. Regarding interest charges, this relates to the Bounce Back Loan that was taken out during Covid and there is now a token interest charge of £1,617. The loan of £50k is being paid back over a period of years as the interest rate is very low.

Question from Haydn Distin: Noted HQ is Freehold but under 'Establishment' there is a Rental payment of £6k this past year, what does this relate to?

Answer from Mike Young: Storage is paid for some of the Club's Archives and Show Equipment which is not stored in the Office but in a warehouse.

Question from Bob Flint: Credit card charges have already been mentioned but in the Accounts, they are shown as £10,218 and am curious how these have been incurred, is it reflected by members paying Membership by credit card.

Answer from Mike Young: Yes, we take a lot of payments by credit card and the Club has researched over the years to obtain the best deal.

Question from Bob Flint: Concerning Administration, what is the purpose of sending a plastic membership card out to everybody as it doesn't serve any useful purpose and it costs the Club at least £10k to post them out separately.

Answer by Peter Purdom: That is a good question but the problem is when membership cards are not sent out, many members ask where they are.

Comment by Keith Hurlock: In many Regions, the cards are used to gain discounts from businesses for spares, access to museums and they are used a lot.

Comment by Jason Gibbs: he stated that he uses his membership card to obtain discounts for parts.

Answer from Peter Purdom: You don't need your actual card just your Membership Number.

Comment from Carol Robinson: Instead of issuing a card each year an alternative would be to issue a permanent card so one card will last forever.

Comment from Rob Jenner: He noted that a problem would be that when a member leaves the Club, the card would still be valid. He stated that other clubs issue cards and then issue stickers with the new year each year.

Comment from John Hunt: He suggested that an option is a card in a wallet or on a phone

Answer from Peter Purdom: Peter noted that there were many ideas which can be explored.

Comment from Paul Skidmore: At each Regional AGM, members are asked to bring their cards and they are checked but they unaware whether they have renewed their membership throughout that year. He said that requests had been made for years to obtain on-line access of membership records but this has never materialized.

Answer from Peter Purdom: That is a good question and should be raised at the Regions meeting. It would be solved by Rob Jenner's suggestion.

Question from Steve Daniels: Please note that the Region name is Oxfordshire and not Oxford. The question is not about the Accounts in the statutory form, a number of his Regional members had asked what the profitability or cost of various event streams is. It would be appreciated if there was a digest summary of our streams of activity and what they are costing us, we see it as no problem if they are costing us and it is part of the strategy but there is no illustration of that in the accounts.

Answer from Peter Purdom: There are several questions from the Oxfordshire Region which we will come on to and that is one of them and we will respond to that under Questions & Answers.

Comment from Marcus Swift: Plenty of organisations issue permanent cards which only get replaced when lost or damaged.

Adoption of Accounts

Proposed: Steve Daniels

Seconded: Rob Jenner

Vote

For: All

Against: 0

Abstentions: 0

The Financial Statements for the year ending 28 February 2023 were adopted.

4. Appointment of Auditors

Mike stated that the Directors very happy with the auditors and there was a good relationship with them (Kreston Reeves). He recommended that they be reappointed for the current year 2023/24.

Proposed: Keith Vincent

Seconded: John Hunt

Vote

For: All except one

Against: 1

Abstentions: 0

Kreston Reeves were appointed as Auditors.

4.1 Election of Directors

Ian Newman and Ken Jenkins offered themselves for re-election by rotation.

Ian Newman

Proposed: Peter Purdom

Seconded: Barrie March

Vote

For: All

Against: 0

Abstentions: 0

Ian Newman was duly re-elected.

Ken Jenkins

Proposed: Rob Jenner

Seconded: Richard Lyon

Vote

For: All

Against: 0

Abstentions: 0

Ken Jenkins was duly re-elected.

Peter Purdom commented that the Board was seeking to strengthen the Board of Directors and earlier in the year had appointed Peter Leake. Peter noted that he has a long history with Jaguar and he has already made a big difference with the relationship with JLR. It is as a result of his work that the Ken McConomy, Global Head of PR is a columnist in Jaguar Enthusiast magazine. Peter Purdom thanked him and recommended that he be ratified as a Director.

Peter Leake

Proposed: Apple Nootenboom

Seconded: Geoff Johnston

Vote

For: All in the meeting room

Against: 0

Abstentions: 1 (On-line)

Peter Leake was duly ratified as a Director.

Peter thanked the Board of Directors for their hard work and supported and noted that it had taken time to bring new people on board. He stated that the thing he likes most about the Board is that all members of the Board are not afraid to have robust discussions and everything is considered very carefully before decisions are made.

5.Membership Fees

Peter Purdom commented that at the previous AGM in January, an increase of less than half the rate of inflation at the time was agreed. It was noted that this level would not be sustainable on a long-term basis and the Board was conscious of the need to protect the Club's resources and continue to invest for the future of the Club. Peter reported that for the previous year and for this year, budget meetings have been held before the AGM to forecast the level of membership fee needed for the forthcoming year. It was noted that the Club's aim is not to make bumper profits but to improve benefits offered to members. Peter stated that if it were not for the Club's Partners and Sponsors, the membership fee would have to be vastly increased. He said that if a member was to take advantage of all of the benefits of membership, it will not be difficult to save the cost of the membership fee several times over. It was noted that the current published subscription to Jaguar World is £62.30 per year with no additional benefits.

Peter advised the meeting that whilst no-one wishes to increase fees, the Board of Directors was unanimous in asking for an increase of £4.00 meaning that UK Membership would go up from £55.00 to £59.00 and Overseas membership from £62.00 to £66.00. Overseas Digital Membership would remain at £39.00. Peter assured Overseas members and in particular those in Europe that the Board are very conscious of postal problems and delays in delivery of the magazine since Brexit. He noted that the Board are working hard to resolve that problem.

Proposed: Neil Jervis

Seconded: John Shorrocks

Vote

For: All
Against: 6 (On-line)
Abstentions: 2

The increase in the Membership Fee was approved.

Question from Paul Skidmore: Why isn't there a UK digital option?

Answer from Peter Purdom: It has been considered, interestingly, the last time we asked the Membership, a substantial number wanted to retain the magazine. It has been a mainstay of the Club and is an important part of what is offered by the Club to members.

Answer from James Blackwell: Looking at trends for other Clubs which have moved to digital magazines, they have experienced reducing members so is a key part of retaining members long term.

Question from Michael Hampton: Long term, would the Board consider improving profitability to ensure the annual increase could be kept to an absolute minimum.

Answer from Peter Purdom: Thank you very much and it has been duly noted in the Minutes.

Question from Peter York: If you didn't post the Membership Cards out, the saving on postage would result in the increase being £3.00 and not £4.00.

Answer from Peter Purdom : The point is made thank you.

6. End of AGM

Presentation to Nigel Thorley by Peter Purdom

Peter explained that Nigel Thorley has, since the Club began, has edited the magazine which has arrived without fail for forty years. We are enormously grateful to Nigel for all he has done in that period of time.

Peter said that it was appropriate to mark Nigel Thorley's time as Editor of Jaguar Enthusiast. He said that he enormously appreciates all that Nigel has done and that he is passionate about Jaguars and the Club. It was noted that Nigel came up with the strapline "Sharing the Passion". He has an encyclopaedic memory of all things Jaguar.

Nigel was presented with a frame containing a plaque with copies of the first and last editions of Jaguar Enthusiast magazine which Nigel edited.

Nigel thanked every members who had contacted him after he had finished the last magazine, not just those who sent emails, texts and phone calls but also those who wrote letters. He said that it was sad to reflect that only two people, Mike Horlor and Ken Jenkins, remain from the initial group who formed the Club and noted that it was particularly sad that Graham Searle was not present. Nigel reminded everyone that the Club is a members' Club and thanked everyone.

JEC Officers' Reports

Chairman's Report – Peter Purdom

Peter reported that in January 2023, he announced to the Board that he would stand down at the next AGM. After the sudden and sad death of Ray Searles, the Board needed to restructure very quickly. Peter commented that he had never sought to or anticipated to have a second term as Chairman of the Club but noted that it was important that somebody took on that role. He felt that it was right for him to do so and equally felt that it was right for him to stand down for a variety of personal reasons. He said that he will not be disappearing and not participating in the Club and will do as much as he is able to do.

Peter said that he believes the Board is in a healthier state than when he started this time as Chairman. A number of things have been put in place and Nigel Thorley is absolutely right that the Club is a members' club. He stated that there is nothing nicer than spending time together enjoying good company and cars. The range of events has been expanded enormously and the development of the Club's partnership with SNG Barratt has been important. The Spares Initiative was announced two years ago and Mike Horlor has been looking after that specifically and a number of successes have come in that area. Peter asked members to keep bringing information to the Club about things that people having difficulties in sourcing because there are regular meetings with SNG Barratt to review parts that are not available, to talk about quality issues, to hold them to account as far as that is concerned but to move forward together. Peter viewed this as an exciting partnership going forward. He commented that there were risks associated with it but the Board is aware of them and how they should be handled in the future.

Peter stated that the Club is about the camaraderie of likeminded people and noted that people only join things based on what is in it for them. The Club's challenge is to continue to increase the number of benefits on offer to members, to increase the quality of benefits on offer and to make the Club an indispensable part of Jaguar ownership. Peter thanked the Board of Directors past and present and he said that he really appreciated the interactions that had taken place, the process of decision making that has been put in place and the way in which the Board tries to manage the Club for the benefit of members. He thanked James Blackwell and Rhian Parker along with other members of the team at Bristol for everything they do day to day, day in, day out. Peter commented that the team at Bristol has been strengthened which James Blackwell would highlight in his report. Peter closed his report by thanking all members for being part of the Club, for contributing and said that the people who come to an AGM are the people who are the mainstream contributors to the Club.

Peter announced that after the meeting, he would step down from his role as a Director and informed the meeting that Mike Horlor would take on the role of Chairman and Ian Newman would become the Club's Vice-Chairman.

General Manager's Report - James Blackwell

James began his report by saying that the AGM provides an opportunity to engage with members and help to shape decisions for the rest of the membership of the Club as well as to explain what the Club is doing, the impact it has and the services the Club provides to members along with information about what happens in the background to provide a clear idea of that work.

Starting with the Head Office Membership Team, since COVID the landscape at Bristol has gone through some changes and working through the pandemic provided many challenges. Last year, consideration was given to the work undertaken at Head Office and recruit accordingly. The current Head Office Membership Team consists of Rhian, Jeri and Carolyn and Jayne. Rhian, as Club Manager, leads the team very ably and they ensure that the Club's routines for renewals, new members, enquiries, etc are dealt with in a timely manner. Systems are in place along with the cover required to make sure that the Club is in the best possible position to assist with members' enquiries. As the team has been in place for a period of time now also means that they have the required knowledge to deal with most situations and enquiries.

Rhian and James work Monday to Friday all day whilst Jayne covers mornings and Carolyn works in the afternoons. Jeri, once she returns from maternity leave, covers the cross-over between them. This allows for full cover and flexibility when the office is busy.

James stated that this enabled him to focus on the strategy and Board direction as well as dealing with some technical or complicated Club matters.

Considering planning and future strategy, over 3 years ago, Richard West was tasked with reviewing the Club's processes and systems, identifying areas which needed review to build a sustainable Club for the future. As part of that work, consideration was given to how the office communicates and plans, keeping track of the requirements on time and resources. A Vis Wall system has been introduced which is a system of white boards, calendars and note boards that help the office to visualise the year ahead, monitor progress on projects and keep everyone accountable for delivering their responsibilities for each project. At the start of the year, a presentation was given to the Board enabling questions to be asked and for them to understand the new working practices and how they will deliver clearer planning and communication to them and the team respectively. James commented that the current planning will soon be removed and repopulated with 2024 and 2025 projects and events to keep these at the forefront of the plans. James noted that the Vis Wall is a key part of keeping the momentum going on the Club's future strategy.

James reported that another key part of the strategy was to look at the Club's offers to the membership, in particular the Club insurance scheme which was launched in November 2022. Since March, there has been a dramatic difference in the number of members taking up the insurance scheme. James urged members to revisit the scheme even if they didn't get a favourable quote, particularly if they made enquiries between November 22 and March 23. Peter James will be contacting members as

the product may have changed since then. James said that he was confident that the majority would receive a more favourable quote. The insurance scheme is a good example of our long-term strategy, by working closely with a single partner, there has been an increase in members joining the Club scheme as well as an increase in commission paid to the Club which allows reinvestment into services for members.

Regarding events, James noted that Richard West would cover events in his presentation but commented that it has been another impressive year. Events form a central part of Club activities and they were considered differently in 2023 to help to protect the Club against any large financial shocks that come with putting on a large summer festival in reaction to the economic state at that time. Emphasis was placed on minimising expenditure at events the Club attended and review how and why certain events are attended throughout the calendar year.

James noted that the team at Head Office have attended over 20 events so far in 2023 which is almost one every three weeks and stated that he knew how much time and effort volunteers put into the events throughout the year at every level of the Club.

James stated that two new locations and events were added to the Club's calendar, namely "The Motorist" near Leeds and "Simply Jaguar at Beaulieu". Between these two events nearly 50 new members were signed up as well as providing a new audience for the Club to showcase itself.

James specifically thanked Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire Regions specifically for their help in covering the Jaguar Breakfast Meetings at Gaydon on behalf of the Club. James concluded by thanking all of the people who volunteer their time and effort throughout the year for the JEC.

Events and TrackSport – Richard West

Richard stated that 2023 was a prudent year based on coming out of Covid 19 and operating in a high inflation economy which was a reason why there was no Summer Festival and explains merging the major annual show with a partnership with Simply Jaguar at Beaulieu. This gave many Regions and people within the JEC and other Jaguar clubs an opportunity to be with and promote the Club to new people. An F-Type promotion took place there. The Club's events have ranged from a Young Enthusiasts' event at Caffeine and Machine at the start of the year and Jag Fest. It was noted that the Club will continually look to enhance membership experiences and look at new opportunities for new members as well.

Richard commented that the final stages of planning for the NEC Classic Car Show in November were taking place. It was noted that the Club received excellent feedback from everyone who visited the Club stand as it was open compared to some other clubs who had stands which were roped off. For the 2023 NEC Show, Richard explained that there will be 6 cars on display which will represent the 39 years of the Club to date and are drawn from members so that the Club has members on the stand talking about their cars and their membership of the JEC. One car will carry branding for next year's Summer Festival which will be promoted. Richard said that plans are being put in place for 2024 with the return of a three-day Summer Festival.

In terms of tours, Richard noted that there have been a number of events with Scenic Car Tours in 2023 and the Club is currently in discussions with Scenic Car Tours. Good events for members were at the Isle of Man Festival, a French Chateau and Wines Tour and a more leisurely experience around the Irish lanes.

Richard reported that there have been some fantastic track day experiences via the Track Sport programme. Richard said he couldn't understand why we were running a Championship that was losing £10k per year of Club money that was only attracting 21 people. A group of members, the late Ray Searles, James Blackwell, Tom and Gary Robinson and Richard decided that the racing championship was too expensive and what was needed was an inclusive form of sport. Richard said that he had spoken with a person in the Club who said that they thought it was a bit elitist but it couldn't be further from the truth. It doesn't matter whether you are an individual who wants to go out in their F-Type and go super quick, or whether you want to take out an aged Jaguar and go up Harewood Hillclimb twenty-two times as one gentleman did in his Mk10 with his entire family on board which was a sight to see. The day is there to create an opportunity for several things, first, it is a safe place to drive your Jaguar, secondly you are not put under any pressure to race because it is not racing as Ray Ingman, the Club's ARDS instructor will explain, thirdly, it is a fantastic social opportunity. When the Club went to Castle Combe to start the season, Colin Porter, the Club's co-ordinator who has worked tirelessly to put the programme together, noted the Paddock was extremely full. Colin explained later in the day that there were 350 people around the Paddock, not only those on the track.

The Club is finding is that TrackSport offers opportunities, whether one is old or young, new, race fan, fast car, slow car, one can come along and interact with like-minded people. JDHT and Swallows Racing provide a wide range of vehicles and

one can obtain a real insight into the history of Jaguar. Track Sport no longer costs the Club any money, it is breaking even and will contribute to central funds. It is also attracting new members along with similar events programmes. When James and Rhian attended The Motorist, a low-cost event the Club gained 13 new members.

For 2024, the draft events calendar is being developed which will be discussed with the events committee and put to the Board for ratification. The season is planned to run from April to November. There will be a series of low-key events with several Jaguar specialists where the Club will support and promote the events and there will be an opportunity for members to go into the specialists, ask questions and obtain advice on their model and how to maintain their cars. The Club plans to once again partner with Beaulieu for Simply Jaguar. There will be the Club's 40th anniversary celebrations highlighted by returning to a Summer Festival between 26 - 28 July 2024. There will be some very special benefits coming to us from JLR which will be announced in due course. We were recently invited to go and make a presentation of the Club to senior members of the JLR Board and have been invited back to visit Jaguar Classic. We have also been invited to put forward suggestions of how the Summer Festival will culminate at Gaydon. Thanks go to Peter Leake for the greater traction we now have with JLR.

The Club is considering 5 TrackSport events in 2024 including one possibly in Belgium, so that some European members will be able to experience an event there. Richard thanked Ian Newman who he said has done a fantastic job putting the International Regions Forum together and it's possible to get feedback from Regions outside of the UK.

The Club wishes to reach out more to Regions. If Regions have events next year, Richard asked that Regions inform Ian so he can feed that information into the Media Team and to the magazine, Friday Spotlight and other forms of communication. There is continued support to Regions by key staff and Directors who are prepared to do so, to give talks. All Regions need to do is ask. Richard confirmed that there will be a fresh calendar of events for the forthcoming year.

The Club is in negotiation with Scenic Car Tours to come up with some new tours for next year so the same tours are not just repeated. The Isle of Man tour this year won hands down in terms of the number of people who went.

There is an enormous amount going on but the challenge we have is to meet everybody's objectives in a way that next year there will again be some 20 opportunities plus Regional events. Richard asked that if anyone has ideas of things they would like to see happen to let him know as the Club is trying to offer the best possible range of opportunities for members to enjoy social activities and one's Jaguars at affordable prices.

Media Controller – Wayne Scott

Wayne began his report by paying tribute to his predecessor Nigel Thorley. Wayne thanked Nigel for handing over a wonderful magazine and stated that when taking over a magazine one doesn't try to do it as someone else would do but to do it like only one can.

Wayne explained that the magazine change goes back to what happened over the last thirty-nine years. The magazine has been through changes and evolution so this is an extension of that. Wayne thanked Mike Manconi who is the designer. It was a huge effort to get the first issue out and we are just starting to get into the groove. The first issue tried different fonts and design, some worked whilst some didn't and Wayne thanked everyone who made comments. Suggestions regarding fonts and the layout members who made contact received a copy of the next magazine in different styles to obtain feedback on where to take it next, so it was very much a consultative approach as the last three issues were developed. As Nigel has said it is the members' magazine and Wayne is here to facilitate it and it is important to obtain feedback.

Wayne said that there will be more restoration stories and interesting features which will come out in the New Year. Part of the work is to not only to deliver the content but also to deliver the financial structure and map out where the main features of the magazine are going to be until the end of 2024. We are trying to get the best from the cars we have access to and members' cars as well and feature much of members' content.

Wayne explained the title of Media Controller and mentioned that in addition to the magazine, this role looks after other media channels which content is being created for which originally didn't exist when the magazine first started. In addition to Wayne, the team consists of Ray Ingman who edited Classic Jaguar, Carol Abbott who does a fantastic job on Regional News, Mike Manconi on Design, and content comes from members who fill in other articles in the magazine. There are ambitious plans for the social media team to reflect all aspects of the Club's life. The future plan is to encourage more members' content onto social media. Social media isn't going to solve membership problems on its own, it won't recruit members alone and we need to use it to our advantage to explain and promote, to give an insight about what we do with members' help. The idea is to create a team amongst the membership and social media contributors, some might do it once a year, some may do it once a week and an announcement will soon be made with a series of 'rewards' for those who want to join the team and contribute regularly. We want to do more video than we have done and one of the big changes to enable that to happen and extra content in the magazine is to have a Sales Advertising Team. This consists of Catherine Rowe and Laura Crawte who are part of Tandem Media who are the Club's third-party organisation looking after sales of advertising across the Club's media platforms. That is the model of how the Club is producing the magazine, there is more control as we have our own Sales Team but we don't pay their salaries, they are on commission.

We are now publishing as the Club, so we directly supply our artwork and magazine material to the printers who then distribute it so it is a much tighter organisation.

Wayne reported that the Board asked him to look at how media is created in a strategic way and how the Club is promoted and increase the quality of what is published. The office has more control on the budget and planning of the media plan. It is big job but the magazine is part of the overall output which includes Friday Spotlight. The fortnightly Podcast has been slightly simplified from pre-Covid times. Wayne ensures that along with social media, all of the channels work together.

In addition to the magazine, there are extra channels that form the 'media wheel'. No one channel is more important than the other. Reports on events dovetail into the package of communications. The Website can be improved, Podcasts continue to be a positive part of the media platform which has over 10,000 listeners.

Wayne highlighted the QR Codes in the magazine where one can read more or watch a video.

Wayne concluded by thanking members for their support.

AGM Questions & Answerers

Peter Purdom opened the Question & Answers session.

Jim Mann, Scotland Grampian Region: Whilst it is fully understood and appreciated that the Directors of the JEC give freely of their time, it is concerning to note that in the 2-year period seen in the accounts (FY 2021 and FY 2022), a total of £134,879 has been paid to persons who have representation at Board level of the JEC. There is a further £31,160 amount due as of the balance sheet date, making the total spend £166,039. This is especially concerning given that there is very limited explanation as to what this expenditure relates to, with previous questions on the matter having received a response along the lines of “Commercial In Confidence”, which in a Member organisation is less than satisfactory. How can the Board expect to retain the confidence and support of the JEC members when such a large proportion of funds are “spent” on activities undertaken by Board Representatives without any detailed explanation as to what those spent funds accrue in terms of value, or return, to the JEC?

Answer by Peter Purdom: Apologies to Jim that the number that he had based his calculation on had already been identified is incorrect, so that changes the figures that he had put forward but it didn't change the principle of the question. It is implicit in a question from Steve Daniels from the Oxfordshire Region. As far as possible we seek to do things using volunteers and that includes the Directors, as you will be aware none of us is paid for being a Director, however if a Director has responsibilities such as Finance, such as earlier on Nigel, with the magazine when he was also a Director, Ken Jenkins in his responsibilities for technical support etc. On certain tasks and projects, the work involved goes beyond what is reasonable to expect in a voluntary capacity and so we use professionals to carry out specific assignments. Wherever possible we go out on tender to ensure that we are getting the best value possible for our membership. We have a Remuneration Committee which reports to the Board and that oversees everything relating to staff salaries and supporting services. The Board has the final say on any of their recommendations, contracts are put in place and monitored through the Bristol Office. Mike Young receives payment for his work on the Accounts, Ken Jenkins on the technical side, Mike Manconi through his organisation Trendy Designs; in the context of the accounts, we have been looking at that relates to retail offerings and if you would like to look at income against expenditure it is positive. Implicit in both what Jim and Steve have asked is the question which relates to payments to Richard West and I have answered as I did at the last two AGMs on this matter and subsequent to that I have received a written question to which I gave a comprehensive written answer. If there is something that you would like more detail on specifically, then please write to James Blackwell or to Rhian Parker and I will make available the comprehensive response that he gave in April this year as I think that would address any concerns that there are.

There are three things I want to say. There are further developments about the work that Richard West is doing is concerned. Richard works far more hours than he ever charges the Club for secondly Richard charges the Club far below the rates he would charge in a mainstream commercial environment. Thirdly, I massively appreciate all that Richard has done during my second term as Chairman. As I had described with the Board, they (Richard and myself) have pretty robust discussions but we tease out what the Club should invest in and what we propose to the Board and so on. I am stepping down from the Board but am not disappearing, there are a number of

people I would be happy to keep in touch with and Richard is definitely one of them. I personally want to thank Richard for all that he has done. If anyone has concerns and would like a more detailed response on, I can make it available to James and by written request they could have that.

David Page, Oxfordshire Region: In the report, page 22, Administration expenses, Credit card charges up from £7350 last year to £10218 for 2023. What are these charges for and can they be avoided?"

Chris Allen, Oxfordshire Region: I note that credit charges for 2023 have increased by nearly 30% to £10218 and loan interest paid £1617. Will the Board confirm that these direct costs will be reduced in the future?

Answer by Peter Purdom: I thought that both questions above had been adequately answered by Mike Young in his responses.

John Reed, Oxfordshire Region: We have seen much coverage over the last year of the TrackSport initiative, however these sessions can only accommodate very limited number of members especially when compared to the JEC Festivals in 2017/19/21, can the Board report how many individuals have engaged and what the profitability of doing so has been?

Answer by Richard West: John Reed wrote to James in June who gave me a copy of his very extensive response explaining why TrackSport is one very small part of what we do and what we offer and also pointed out that the Club had taken it from negative into neutral and positive spend as I had already indicated. James had added that it is just one of many initiatives that appeal to some and not to others and also pointed out that historically Summer Festivals have been bi annual events, it just so happens that when you put on a good event everybody wants you do it bigger and better the following year so there was nothing I can add to this response that James gave to him and comparing a Track Sport event that contributes a couple of grand to overheads, to a Summer Festival that costs £140k to put on is really no comparison at all, you cannot compare the two things.

Chris Allen, Oxfordshire Region: As Region Treasurer I am aware of the significant month on month decline in membership numbers, we have heard of a number of various recruitment campaigns and initiatives but none of these seem to have had any effect in turning around the continuing decline in membership. Will the Board please tell us what is being done and will be done to arrest this serious and fundamental issue?

Answer by James Blackwell: Every month a list is sent out of new members and those who have gone into the lapsed period. The lapsed period as stated in the Memorandum & Articles of Association is the 3-month grace period that is offered to all members after their membership has officially come to its end. What we actually find is that within that 3-month period or immediately after it, a lot of people who may have ignored the letters that have gone out, it is when the magazine stops landing on their doorstep that they realise that they are no longer a member. What we actually see is after that 3-month period, a significant number of those people return back into the Club because they are missing one of the most valuable assets landing on their doorsteps, which is why it's such an important piece of literature that the Club sends out to its members.

Answer by Peter Purdom: With regard to the last part of the question, I feel that we have given fairly comprehensive responses in terms of what is going within the Club.

For any Oxfordshire members to be aware that we have offered from the Board of Directors to go to the Oxfordshire Region and answer any questions that they may have as comprehensively as we can, that offer remains open.

Mike Newman, Oxfordshire Region: A new-version, significantly different, Enthusiast Magazine has now appeared. Some will like it, some won't. That's life. Can the Board please summarise what structured consultation was undertaken, with whom and when, as our Region would very much like to have been able to express opinions and ideas but was not asked either directly or indirectly. I see you have got rid of 'Bird's Eye View' with the new format (scared of the woke lobby?) and as of September, you got rid of Lorraine. Who is the replacement?

Answer by Peter Purdom: It would seem to be suggesting that we should have a committee of 13,000 to design the magazine. Wayne Scott has already answered what we are doing as far as the new magazine is concerned, some will like it, some won't, I love it but there were a number of constructive criticisms that were sent in when the first issue landed and Wayne has responded to that, he has responded to everybody who has written in and we see changes so far as font is concerned and hopefully seeking to address some of the concerns that you have. I am a bit puzzled about the last part of the question where it says "I see you have got rid of 'Bird's Eye View' with the new format (scared of the woke lobby?) and as of September, you got rid of Lorraine. Who is the replacement?" If you had read Lorraine's column, she said "I think the time is right to end my scribblings. There are no grievances or grudges this is my decision. The new editor will have his own way of putting the magazine together and I wish him and the whole team every success." That doesn't sound like it is someone we have got rid of. Wayne Scott has assured me that there will be further contributions from Lorraine and from others, so I hope that answers the question.

Steve Daniels, Oxfordshire Region: We all recognise that Regions are the fundamental building block of our Membership-based Club. It is less well appreciated just how much effort goes into running our Regions day-to-day, especially with the limited support provided. It is therefore of considerable concern to see from the accounts that there was just £5,559 direct spending on Regions in FY 22-23. Whilst this was some 140% of that spent in FY 21-22, it is only £9,440 over two years. In the same 2 years, Richard West's (undefined) 'Consultancy' was £44,439 with a further £3,087 owed at the Balance Sheet date. Thus, Regional Support was just 19.86% of the monies paid to Richard in the same 2-year period. 2023's Regional Support was therefore also less than 1.5% of total administration expenses. A Regions Development Plan is to be presented for approval in the afternoon of the AGM, at the Region Officers' Meeting, with ambitious proposals. Will the Board be putting 'its money where its mouth is about the vital nature of Regions' to fully finance, and commit to the delivery, of that plan?

Answer by Peter Purdom: I don't agree the Regions are THE fundamental building block of the Club but they are certainly one of the fundamental building blocks, there are others including the Model Sections and so on which are all important to the Club. I do understand what is involved, I've been there and done it until I moved on having responsibility for the whole Club. You refer to "especially with the limited support provided" and here I really have to disagree. The Regions receive a lot of support through the Regions Committee which Ian Newman runs and which you are an active part of. There's training, there's advice, there's guidance, there's the

Regional Resource Hub, there's communication channels with your own areas of the JEC website, there is an opportunity for each Region to put into the magazine 250 words per month plus a photo etc.

When you refer to the amount spent, we need to clarify that the amount that appears in the Accounts only refers to when we are giving assistance to Regions in the supply of things like Whip Flags and so on for events support it doesn't in any way include everything. You then talk about "A Regions Development Plan is to be presented for approval in the afternoon of the AGM, at the Regions Officers' Meeting, with ambitious proposals. Question, Will the Board be putting 'its money where its mouth is about the vital nature of Regions' to fully finance, and commit to the delivery, of that plan?" We will be fascinated to hear what that plan is and we look forward to receiving the details of that, or rather my successors in time will do. Ian Newman is a very active and respected member of the Board of Directors and always champions the Regions, as to putting our money our mouth is, until such time as a proposal is put on the table, we don't know what has been suggested but what I know is that Ian will strongly defend what is proposed by the Regions Committee and all due consideration will be given to it.

David Nixon, Oxfordshire Region: Can the Board please explain how the rank-and-file membership can have rather more influence on the direction of the Club, than is presently the case. The current arrangements (the Regions Committee, the Regional Ambassadors & AGMs, looking back a total to 20 months) don't seem to be able to make much impact upon the direction of travel & the nature of that travel.

Answer by Peter Purdom: Thank you for asking but we are all ordinary members of the Club, we may have specific skill sets that are used on the Board of Directors but we are members of the Club just like everybody else is a member of the Club. There are a number of committees that you can get involved with, there is the Regions, there's the Events, there are Model Sections that need support and then there is the Board. With regard to the Board, many of you, I have for some time been looking for volunteers who would be prepared to stand for the Board of Directors and I am delighted with the new Directors that we have got as a result of that approach. I feel positive as far as the future of the Club is concerned, with the Directors that we already have onboard and I have already said thank you to them and I say thank you again, they put a lot of work into the running of the Club. We are always looking for people to volunteer, I had one approach this morning, that's great, we need more and if you feel there are things that you can contribute and you can be part of the direction of the Club, we would be delighted to hear from you. There is one position I would specifically mention, Mike Young is planning to retire in the next 12 / 24 months so we need a replacement Finance Director. If there are people that you know that have the skills to offer, we would be delighted to hear from them. Steve if I may ask you could you please take back to the Oxfordshire Region the specific offer that we will come and answer any other questions that they have to put to us as much as we can.

Neil Jervis, Lincolnshire South Region: One of our biggest frustrations faced in Fenlands and my own Region, South Lincs, is trying to co-ordinate what we do with what the JEC as the bigger area does. Yet again we are now three months away from 2024 and we have not seen any signs of any dates which the JEC is wanting to hold events to. We would like to go to Harewood, we don't know if the Harewood Hillclimb is going to happen next year, we know there is a little amount of information

about the 40th Anniversary Festival, communication about events has got to improve. Can the Board give us that soon please.

Answer from Richard West: At this moment in time there are three very large events that other than the summer festival we are planning. We have contacted them up to half a dozen times and in the case of Goodwood for example, Goodwood has announced its Revival and its Summer Festival, as for its four Noisy Days it's now waiting for the F1 calendar after that it waits for the VTCC calendar then it waits for the Moto GP and after that it waits for the British Superbike Championship after that it waits for Formula 4, F3, F2, Historic, Vintage, VSCC, VRSCC, CTRC and then it phones us up and says sorry it's January we can offer you 11th April, do you want it? That's what happens and it is no more frustrating to anyone else than me because every week I send an email to Colin Porter, James, Rhian asking where are we on dates, they reply, cannot tell you and they send me a copy of the holding email. One of our events planned for next year is to do a Noisy Day at Goodwood and the JDHT, if we can pull it off, have offered to send us 14 cars at their cost, so we can do a display with some of the most famous motor cars in the world, when do we want the cars? I have to tell them, I can't tell you. It's a huge problem. We try so hard to get dates to feed out to you but it is incredibly difficult and the other complication is that many of the venues we would like to take the Club to now don't have availability for the next two years. We sincerely understand your frustration because they are the same for us. We have a very good outline calendar for next year but it would be very wrong for us to publish that, a bit like when we do the brochure for the NEC, many of those dates shown turned out to be wrong because the owners of the properties then come back and say sorry British Superbikes have got that, you can't have it. Also costs, venues are getting more and more expensive, a Noisy Day at Goodwood is £17,500 plus VAT just for the circuit it doesn't include parking staff or marshals. It's a big challenge.

Answer by Peter Purdom: We will try and keep you informed just as soon as it is possible to do so.

Paul Skidmore, Doncaster and District Region: We were talking about dwindling membership, you mentioned that you are building relationships with JLR, I own a 1973 E-Type which I bought off the original owner and inside the document pack was an invitation to join the JDC for £3. Could you actually build a relationship with JLR so that everybody who purchased a Jaguar in the UK got membership of the JEC as used to happen in the olden days to boost membership or make the first year of membership free for a brand-new Jaguar customer?

Answer Peter Purdom: A good question and a difficult one to answer. We are looking to build a closer relationship with JLR and for that I am grateful to Peter Leake for what he is already doing. As to whether a project of that nature were to be possible, it is a subject we have discussed and one of the problems with that is if we got JLR to agree that for every Jaguar they sell they would include membership of the JEC, we would have 300,000 memberships we would have to look after in the first year and which there would be no guarantee that they would renew in the second year. It would be a huge administrative problem to handle that, but thank you for your question because it something that has been discussed and may be a variation on a theme may be possible. We will seek to explore this.

Rob Jenner: remarked that the Club always used to send each Jaguar dealer two copies of the magazine, now we have JLR dealerships reducing to twenty is going to knock that back. Another thing is that car purchase is different these days, most of

them are on Lease or PCP but people are not brand loyal like they used to be and you are right we would end up with membership one year and then we would lose them.

Answer by James Blackwell: A good point that Rob has raised. The biggest influx of newer Jaguar owners is in the 5-to-7-year period (of age of the car) so in terms of the target audience for us, the used car dealerships and specialists is a better route in terms of engaging with people who may have some brand loyalty if supported by good independent specialists. In terms of things that we look at and where we send magazines that is a key point in how we are trying to move along.

Ken Bruce: I would like to thank Geoff Johnston for the hard work he put into the Super Saturday. He won't tell you but he was disappointed at the attendance, he had 200 enquiries to park in the special parking area, there were seventeen that didn't attend without an apology whilst 30 sent an apology. Perhaps it could be stressed that if one is not coming, then send an apology which will allow other people to go. Perhaps a policy for the Club could be set. A car selected for 'Car of the Day' was a reproduction. I wonder if the rules should separate reproduction cars from Jaguars.

Answer by Peter Purdom: That is a problem we have with events - people make their minds up on the day.

You cannot separate cars, if it is a Pride and Joy competition for example the owner, whatever the car is, has put in a lot of effort and is proud of their car.

Geoff Johnston, Central Region: thanked Ken for his kind words and he was disappointed that seventeen didn't turn up when he had a backlog of thirty cars that wanted to come and although it was a terrible day weatherwise, which is why seventeen cars didn't turn up. The car of the day was chosen by those who came on the day and it was their decision and it was an outright winner.

Richard Lyon, North Lincolnshire Region: Just couple of comments, from our last Regional meeting I have comments on the magazine. One was the extra size of it, almost some 30% larger, is that going to increase the costs? Also, it is hard work to get through the extra pages. Regarding the last Tour de France there didn't appear to be a lot of Club involvement, any particular reason why?

Answer by Peter Purdom As far as the magazine is concerned, Wayne has addressed issues concerning font size etc and it will evolve. There is more content and I keep dipping in and out of it over time. Do keep the comments coming, Wayne will reply to people where they have got concerns. It's your magazine and we will take any comments on board. The tour was run by personal invitation as they had done it last year and I thought the Club was fairly well represented.

Mick Owen, London Region: Going back about 15yrs at the AGM we mentioned that were having trouble with our bank and bank charges and the Club said they were looking into whether they could have some clout to get a Bank that would help the Regions by not making the charges that we are paying now. We get 10 to 15 people at our meetings and our bank charges £6.50 per month to manage the account and other Regions are in the same situation. Are the Board, who they bank with, could *they* get some of the Regions to go along to that Bank and save them some money?

Answer by Peter Purdom: We will certainly pick the question up and this can be raised in the Regions Workshop in the afternoon.

Rob Jenner, Edinburgh Region: There is a 'Treasurers Account' with Lloyds Bank which we use. It is run on-line and there is a 'Community Account' which are free of charge.

John Norton, South Lincs Region: Lloyds Bank operate a Treasurers Account which is specifically designed for Clubs such as ours which is run on-line and is completely free.

Steve Daniels, Oxfordshire Region: When we started our Region five years ago, Barclays were very happy to give us a Community Account. You have to ask banks firmly as they won't offer something that isn't going to earn them money. I think there is a role for the Club to centrally to put some pressure on like you are doing with JLR there must be a central facilitation.

Peter Purdom Answered: If people have found a solution which is available through Lloyds Bank, then I suggest that is the first port of call.

Barrie March, Somerset Region: We have a Business Account with Nat West they don't charge at all and it's on-line.

Answer by Ian Newman: West Sussex Region also bank with Nat West; it is a Community Account. The way that Regions are structured is they are semi-autonomous so Regions have responsibility for their own monies so there is the opportunity for to try these different banks if one isn't working. As a Club of some 13,000 members, we don't have much bargaining power. Do have a look at some suggestions which have been offered during this session.

Tim Taylor, Three Counties Region: The JEC wishes to offer Regions details of lapsed members but our Region believes this to be contrary to GDPR and the JEC Regional Assist Official Guidance. On pages 5 and 13 it describes the limitation on the storage of data no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed, personal data may be stored for longer periods in so far as the personal will be processed for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific, or historical research purposes or statistical purposes. I do not think that chasing ex members to re-join comes into it.

Answer by James Blackwell: There are two answers to that question. First, by using lapsed member communication we do offer the opportunity for people to say they want to be removed from any further communication which also includes the Friday Spotlight. The second part of the question is that within our M & Arts we do consider members up to 3 months past their due date to be still classed as members. So, if they lapse 1st November then December, January, February they are officially classed as members of the Club. As of the February they would then drop off and we don't keep chasing them after that point.

Marcus Swift, Cumbria & Borders Solway Region: In his opinion RPI is not the inflationary measure that employers use. When negotiating pay, it is CPI and the increase in subs that is proposed is in excess of RPI let alone CPI.

The JEC is losing members, in my Region we have lost a lot of JEC members who still attend the regional club but as guests because they see no value in JEC membership. What can the Club do to attract those former members back?

Answer by Peter Purdom: Bearing in mind the increase that has been agreed today, we stressed that in the last round we only asked for less than half of the inflation amount of the time. I understand the subtleties of RPI/CPI etc and different people have used different measurement criteria. We have looked at this very carefully and I am grateful to those who have almost unanimously accepted the

points made in asking for a £4 increase. Nobody wants to put membership fees up but we have to face reality and that's what we have done on the basis of clear budgetary analysis.

End of Question & Answer Section

Mike Horlor, New Club Chairman: Mike thanked Peter for the tremendous effort that he put into the last couple of years, as well as the previous period of time. Anybody who has worked with Peter knows what a great statesman he is. Peter's calmness, his patience overlaid with the fact that he is an excellent businessman, have been a great value to the Board and the staff at Bristol, who have all benefited from it, still enjoy working with him. The Club really appreciate the time and effort and the sacrifices that he put into this Club. Mike noted that Ray Searles passed away nearly two years ago and it was a struggle to pick up the pieces but this was done very effectively under Peter's leadership. On behalf of everyone, Mike thanked Peter for everything that he had done in his role Chairing the Club.