BEAULY COMMUNITY COUNCIL MINUTES                                                               

MINUTE No. 009

MEETING DATE: 31st August 2020

(NOTE DUE TO CORONA VIRUS, MEETING WAS IN THE MAIN COMMUNICATED BY E-MAIL, WITH A LIMITED SOCIALLY DISTANCED GATHERING TO CONCLUDE CERTAIN ASPECTS).                        

Members: Roy Harrison (Chair), James Campbell, Seona Fraser, Mike Smith, Rosie MacDonald, Jim Stewart, Ivar Campbell, Tony Boyland, Mark Simmons, Jane Cumming and David Taylor.

 

 

ACTION

1.0

Welcome and Apologies

 

1.1

The Chairman welcomed attendees.

 

2.0

Police Report

 

2.1

No Community Engagement Report for the month was received. Members noted the presence of police cars in the village and surrounds to assist in speed reduction. However, the presence of boy-racers and Scooters in the evenings was still a problem.

It was suggested there had been break-ins in Riverside Drive, Police Scotland were informed.  

 

3.0

Minutes of Meeting 27th July 2020

 

3.1

The minutes were approved by Mike Smith and seconded by Seona Fraser.

 

4.0

Matters from last Meeting.

 

4.1

Planning Application – Change of Use from Agricultural Shed to Class 4 Business Use, land 350m north of Mayfield. Secretary reported as of 31st August 2020 the application was under consideration. However further documentation had been added; road safety audit and landscape plans.

Note

4.2

Sycamore Tree. HES approved addition of bench within the Rose Garden. Bench and plaque to be purchased, exact location to be confirmed.

SF

4.3

GCU (UK) request for a meeting. Awaiting response from Director Mr Gallagher.

DT

4.4

Crown Estates River Beauly Slipway. See AOB Item 7.8

 

4.5

Coop Community Fund. Awaiting quotation from Simpson & Moir for floodlights. Astro-turf option being dropped as cost prohibitive.

DT

4.6

Beauly Sports Association. Request for all participant organisation to donate £50 to establish fund to finance early insurances etc. Bank Account for new Association to be opened and £50 will then be given from BCC.

SF

4.7

Resurfacing and infilling of potholes top of Mid St. See AOB Item 6.4

 

4.8

THC Community Resilience Fund. Larders moved to new container located in Phipps Hall Car Park on 10th August. The community would like to thank Ord Industrial & Commercial Supplies for the short-term loan of the container. Use of the new Larder was initially slow but has now picked up. It should be noted the Larder is not being locked at night. Signage is currently being prepared.

SF

 

 

 

 

4.9

Village Flowers etc.

  • Sunflowers. Competition to be judged by Roy Harrison and Mark Simmons on 28th August.
  • Scarecrows. Competition completed. Winners were:

-          Junior (Poppy) Tartan Dress.

-          Adult (Winnie) Elvis.

-          Business (Ffordes) Photographer.

 

RH

4.10

Request for Councillor assistance re:

i)        Dog Bin Facebook trail dated 22nd January 2020.

ii)      Traffic Sign Beauly Toll.

iii)    Car Park Charging Consultation.

iv)     Route/Timetable issues, Stagecoach 28 Bus. Secretary to move this forward.

Cllr Knox confirmed previously there is not much that can be done to progress these issues in the current situation, however good to keep them on the radar and Councillors will be happy to help facilitate meetings when circumstances allow.

Cllr Knox

4.11

Village map. Agreed to approach other cartographers and identify graphic designers to see what might be possible.

Jane C/DT

4.12

Coop Community Fund. Application made for landscape maintenance equipment. Awaiting to see if submission was successful.

Note

4.13

Beauly News. Secretary informed meeting that in his view the time was now right to consider layout/content etc and refresh newsletter. He would be happy to work with a new person and then pass the production over. Agreed to advertise on Facebook page for assistance.

DT

4.14

Agreed at this time of season and limited visitors, Fountain would not now be switched on.

Note

4.15

Weeds to top of Lovat Monument in Square have been treated.

Note

4.16

Mobile home toilets being emptied in Public Toilet with associated mess. Response from Council, ….we have clear signage up to explain that motorhome waste should not be disposed of in the public toilet.

Note

4.17

Tidying-up of Facebook page and restriction of some posts, ongoing. More specific guidance to be given.

AB

4.18

Approach made to THC regarding overhanging branches from Church Yard to Orchard Park. Situation now resolved by residents.

Note

5.0

Financial Statement

 

5.1

No. 1 Main Account   £3,630.04. Increases: £1,000.00 Food Larder from Kirkhill Hub, £20.00 Donation. Decreases: Cnoc strimming £130.00, Landscape maintenance, gift £15.90, IT Data £35.00, Village Flowers £240.56, Food Larder £295.78.

 

5.2

No. 2 Second Account £13,376.09.

 

5.3

Children’s Hall Account. £3,193.18.

 

5.4

Lovat Account, (war memorial). £1,516.91.

 

5.5

Beauly in Bloom Account.  £2,677.78.

 

6.0

Correspondence See correspondence register attached to minutes.

 

6.1

SSE, Beauly 132kV Reinforcement - Introduction Letter, showing proposals for site extension.  Response from CC (Mike Smith) not yet received reply. Secretary to approach Kilmorack CC to formulate plan.

DT

 

6.2

Invitation24/08/2020: Ward 12 Meeting with Community Reps. Roy Harrison attend on-line meeting. Issues discussed affecting Beauly CC included food larder and pro-active response. Main area to address going forward was communication between THC and the various community bodies. Beauly CC were reminded of the guidance surrounding outdoor meetings.

Note

6.3

St Mary's Church, Beauly, various infrastructure items. Secretary referred to letter received, dated 25th August. The points raised were referenced to Minutes dated May 2019 and had been adequately addressed by James Campbell previously. Secretary to write to Church accordingly.

DT

6.4

Response from John Taylor THC Community Services.

Please confirm extent of Mid Street that is on List of Highways. – Description attached.

Mobile- home toilets being emptied in Public Toilet with associated mess, is this being dealt with? – Amenities (Debbie Sutton copied in)

Potholes opened up at bottom end of Ferry Road, please investigate. – (Alan Johnstone - Roads - copied in for action)

Complaints from Orchard Park residents, regarding overhanging branches from Church Yard. – (Alan Johnstone / Lucy Tonkin – Roads copied in for action)

THC Rural Infrastructure Fund Application, Round 3. CC decided not to submit EOI on this occasion due to withdrawals previously made due to lack of funding support. Only project I thought that may get Council support is upgrading village traffic/parking/tourist signs, do you think this is worth us progressing? – Possible contacts Worth progressing (Shane Manning / Lovat Estates)

Additional bus stop at Braeview. You may remember discussion on this point when we prepared out Traffic Report. I have been asked to raise it with the Council/Bus company again. – (David Summers – Roads – Public Transport copied in – I believe David had discussed this with stagecoach – possibility of park and ride type arrangement and bus stop location on A862 in the vicinity of Braeview Park Junct.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DT

7.0

AOB

 

7.1

(RMcD) Raised manhole around Priory Hotel/Chip shop has become a trip hazard, THC to be informed.

DT

7.2

(RMcD) Potholes opened up in Croyard Drive, THC to be informed.

DT

7.3

(JC) Business Association.

  • Chest Heart Stroke Scotland, no response to request to tidy grounds. Suggestion is they may relent on lease.
  • BA considering mid-winter festival to attract visitors on annual basis, early days but ideas include outdoor market, light show in association with HES, improvements to current village lighting. It was recognised that usual Christmas celebrations with Santa etc. may not be possible.

JC

7.4

(JC) Suggestion “Springfield” should be approached for donation to extend current lights eastwards. This would have to include for connectors to lighting columns, previously costed at £1,000/column by THC.

DT

7.5

(SF) Rubbish left by contractor inserting electric charging points to be removed.

DT

7.6

(JC) Had become aware of outline proposals by Lovat Estates for extending the car park to the side of the Church of Scotland. Limited information publicly available. Improved parking provision was recognised by CC however until further detail available, concerns raised.

Note

7.7

(IC) To note fence line boundary between Cnoc and play area has been re-erected. Several obstacles seem to be in place.

Note

7.8

Crown Estates River Beauly Slipway. Secretary organised drone footage to prove the integrity of the riverbank. 2No £50 annual payments received will not be paid/considered  until this matter is resolved.

Secretary referred to his e-mail dated 17/08/20 setting out discussions with Beauly Holiday Park and later Lovat Estates outlining an option to develop a Kayaking facility at the site. This might attract 3rd party funding and be an asset to the village. After discussion, the following was agreed:

  • Current site unsuitable for a variety of reasons; water access, vehicular access, parking, environmental considerations (Japanese Knot weed), possible resident objections.
  • Idea of facility at a more appropriate site acceptable in principle by CC and Business Association. The Ferry was a possible site, but it was accepted the wider area should be investigated. Usage could be expanded to Paddle Boarding and Open Water Swimming.
  • Current site gate to be welded closed. It was thought warning signage and a lifebelt would encourage rather than deter investigation by young people.
  • Upturned pontoon to be removed.
  • Secretary to write to Crown Estates restating our previous position.
  • Business Association to investigate options further.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DT

 

JC

7.9

Beauly Public Toilets. Secretary referred to e-mail received from Cllr Knox dated 20/08/20. CC discussed issue in two parts: key holder/opening hours and asset transfer.

  • Key holder/Opening hours. The CC preferred opening hours would be 7.00am to 10.00pm summer, 7.00am to 8.00pm winter. Key holder(s) being investigated. THC to be informed once concluded.
  • Asset transfer. After a lengthy discussion it was agreed in principle an asset transfer is likely to be acceptable, but the CC required some time to prepare themselves for discussion with the Council. A sub-group was convened to take this forward comprising:

-          Jane Cumming Business Association.

-          Alan Hogan Beauly Holiday Park.

-          Rosie MacDonald CC.

-          Mike Smith CC.

-          David Taylor CC.

DT

8.0

Next meeting

 

8.1

Next meeting scheduled for 28th September 2020.

 

  

   DCT/02- 12/09/2020

                        

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Beauly Community Council - Correspondence Register, Council Meeting 31/09/2020

 

 

 

Beauly Community Council - Facebook Register, Council Meeting 31/09/2020